i always wanted to go there

it’s a place of wit and wisdom
i’ve not been there, but i’ve heard
take the bus, you’ll get there sooner
do try not to look absurd

take the first left that you come to
take it where i cannot say
ask in passing for directions
if you’re there then there you’ll stay

if you’re lucky, when you get there
everyone will be scott free
if they’re not then my advice is
look for somewhere else to be

you may have to earn their respect
but buying it is not so hard
lots of money in your pockets
or at least a credit card

step inside any old building
wave your brolly at the folk
bellow that you’ve come to free them
if any ask claim it’s a joke

look for somewhere pleasant to rest
take it easy as you can
nothing’s worse than sleeping soundly
in a place where noise is banned

really it’s the place to be at
so i’ve heard but then again
if you haven’t ever been there
it’s time you didn’t go again

/  October 3, 2011

OH!! this reminds me of Dr. Seuss… “Oh, the places you’ll go” but your’s is more realistic and adult and “real world”!! Love the last stanza!!! I think it’s a place I’ve never been and don’t want to go there again either! 🙂

(what’s a brolly? = umbrella?)

• Interesting, that’s the first Dr. Seuss I’ve ever read, although his name is familiar from American TV shows.

A brolly is an umbrella, yes.

I started with the final two lines, which just popped into my head, and, realising they were the last lines of a poem, I typed them on the screen, and worked on the poem from the start, gradually pushing the original lines down the screen until I arrived at the point where they fit.

Welcome to “Typo’s ‘R’ Us” 😆

/  October 3, 2011

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! THERE’S NO APOSTROPHE IN *YOURS*!!!! LOLOLOOL (see, I had no way to see that no matter how many times I read this UNTIL I hit “post comment”) lol. Ugh, I”m such a ditz! LOLOLO

/  October 3, 2011

Dr. Suess is wonderful. “Oh, the places you’ll go” is probably the most popular high school and college graduation gift in the US. All of his poems are on-line. You would love some of them. There are very basic ones for children (Green Eggs and Ham) http://7english.wordpress.com/2007/10/17/green-eggs-and-ham-dr-seuss/
    to the more elaborate ones like “Oh the places you’ll go”. He had an amazing ability to rhyme and change the sounds of words to make them fit into a rhyming pattern.

An interesting side note. Dr. Seuss never had kids and had an extreme fear of children preferring never to be around them! 🙂

My knowledge of English umbrellas only extended to “bumbershoots” and “brellis” :-))

Also..I installed Firefox AND Chrome and they both work better on the MAC than Safari! Thanks for the link you sent me!

/  October 3, 2011

ps..The final 2 lines are the best lines in the poem. You always have that little twist at the end!

• I’ll get round to reading some Dr. Seuss, sometime.
      I enjoy being able to add a twist at the end, sometimes. I find myself surprisingly easy to amuse in that respect! 😀

/  October 3, 2011

My favorite Dr. Seuss poem is How the Grinch Stole Xmas but my 2nd favorite is this one:

All of his poems are written in book form so each stanza or two (depending on the size) would be on a page with an illustration.

/  October 3, 2011

Sometimes, when you write a poem, I have to admit I read the end first just to see what clever thing you have ended with! 🙂

• And sometimes, when I write a poem, I write the end first, to see what twist I’ll come up with 😆 😯

/  October 3, 2011