curses

i will curse you in the morning, i will curse you late at night
i will curse you when you back down, i will curse you if you fight
if the world should end tomorrow then the last thing i would do
as they dragged me into hell would be to lay a curse on you

though we started out as brothers in those days so long ago
and it seemed as if  each passing day would  see our friendship grow
it only took one moment for you to bring it crashing down
so i’ll curse you and revile you ’til your corpse is in the ground

we had money we had status we had everything we’d need
but you despoiled all we had for but a passing moment’s greed
and now we stand so far apart there’s no more to be said
than i’ll make it my life’s purpose to see you broken, torn and dead

i will curse you on arrival, i will curse you when you go
i will curse you in the sunshine, i will curse you in the snow
if i could live a thousand lives then this i swear is true
it still would not be long enough to end me cursing you

1. Foiled again?

😉

• 😆 I hope you realise you just caused me to go on a goolespedition to find out where that phrase comes from. If you’re interested I found my answer here http://www.word-detective.com/052206A.html second item on the page “From Finland?” (incidentally the “Word Detective” site looks fascinating, I’ve bookmarked it for later enjoyment, so thank you for causing my introduction to it 😀 )

• It came from Rocky and Bullwinkle 😯 ? Well, who would have thunk it 😀 ?
        * .. bookmarks word-detective link *
        Cheese 😉

• I’ve never seen the series, that I remember, just the film from a few years ago. But I always thought the line was much older, from the silent film days, when they put up the dialogue cards. I suppose it shows an effective parody when parts can be mistaken for the over-the-top original. 😀

/  October 5, 2011

I really like this one as the longer ones suit your style very well. The last line is missing some beats though as it is abruptly shorter than the previous ones. It’s 12 beats when the others were 15. I keep thinking “would not be long enough” but that’s still one beat short. Because of the accent differences, I sometimes have a different beat count than you. What say ye?

• 😳 how did I miss the word “enough” from the final line. Thank you, even rereading it this morning i didn’t spot that, I think I was seeing it as it was meant to be written rather than as it was.
      Anyway, adding the “enough” where it belongs gives the two final lines fourteen syllables each, making it flow quite smoothly for me. 😀

/  October 5, 2011

In poetry, silence can count as a beat as well when it is read out loud, so when I read it, I automatically put it “enough” then held a pause, then continued which made it flow perfectly for me as well. Same for the previous line where I held a pause after “lives” . It then matched up to the other stanzas perfectly! 🙂

/  October 5, 2011

*dansdansdans* 😎

/  October 5, 2011

I am truly a product of America TV! 🙂

6. The only one of the Ward cartoons I have seen is “George of the Jungle”. I remember that from more-years-than-I-want-to-count ago. 😀 but they all pale in the face of “DangerMouse” http://www.dangermouse.org/what.html 😀

/  October 5, 2011

I remember him!!! We used to get some cartoons from England on Saturday morning cartoons.

Did you ever see Beanie and Cecil? They were my favorite although Bugs Bunny was probably my first crush! :-))

• Nope, that’s the first time I’ve come across that one, but why do you YuEssAyians pronounce Cecil (Seh-sill) as Cecil (See-sill)? 😀

/  October 5, 2011

The only “Seh-sill” we ever pronounced that way is Cecil B. DeMille. Here “Cecil” is pronounced as “See-sill”. The best See-sill and Beany cartoon is when they go to the “No bikini Atoll’s” (Bikini Atolls in Micronesia in the Pacific) and they were tiny islands shaped like bikinis. Kids never got it! 🙂 Most of the jokes were over kids heads but the adults laughed like crazy.

• Ah, the difference between “family” and “children’s” entertainment. Children’s offers little to the adult, but good family stuff entertains all. 1970s Disney as opposed to modern Pixar, perhaps. 😀

/  October 5, 2011

I think that the cartoons that “broke the 4th wall” and acknowledged that there was an audience were the ones that appealed the most to adults and families, instead of just children. The characted usually gave an “aside” that was more adult in nature, as opposed to staying in character for younger kids. The Pixar cartoons are all amazing and probably the height of artistic development at this time. The Muppets characters, especailly Kermit and Miss Piggy always spoke to the audience in a more adult fashion then returned to the more childlike atmosphere of the show. Dis you ever see “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”? That was the first cartoon/live actors movie that came out and they communicated with each other and the audience on several different levels. I don’t know though, no matter how sophisticated you get, that anyone can beat Bugs Bunny plotting against Elmer Fudd *I’m huntin wabbits* :-)))

• I think breaking the fourth wall is just one of many techniques to increase inclusivity. I loved “Roger Rabbit” (I have a copy) and along with Bugs I really like the old “Tom & Jerry” cartoons.