who

by damommza & sunovawot

laying under golden oak
as leaves come tumbling down
i am but a memory
beneath this cursèd ground

how long have i searched for peace
i cannot say i know
blistered by the scorching sun
left shivering with the snow

weeping widows kneel beside
cold, silent slabs of stone
no one ever visits me
they don’t know where i’ve gone

there are no markers showing
the entrance to my crypt
buried in the dead of night
my soul, from me, was stripped

what hero’s blade or coward’s kiss
laid me beneath this earth
i have no memory of life
of love, of peace, of mirth

was i the kind of person
who will be missed by all
or some detested monster
no one to mourn my fall

though storms may rage above me
i have no strength to fight
the fast grip of this my tomb
to touch, once more, the light

i would call upon the gods
if it were not in vain
to lay their hands upon me
to let me breath again

to seek an answer out there
among the quick,the brave
among the lives still burning
whose hand gave me my grave

/  October 22, 2011

SQUEEEEE!!! and you gave me an accent thingy above the “e” for cursed!! (umm..”accent thingy” is the tehcnical term for “I don’t know what it’s called”) Thank You! 😀

I know I’m not objective but I love it and I love the way you ended it! 😀 😀 😀

• That one is the “grave” accent (rather than try to learn the ASCII codes for the various diacritical marks, musical notes, Greek letters etc, I have bookmarked http://www.characterer.com/ which is a page you can copy them from). I quite like this poem too. 😀

/  October 22, 2011

Its called a “diacritical mark”. I knew that. (no I didn’t) 🙂

3. lolled at the discussion. In French this is indeed the “accent grave” (the opposite is “acute”). I think you could probably find it as well in the “table of characters” (or whatever that is called in English Windows Jargon).
    The poem is lovely, fitting for the month of October. 🙂

• Yes, I remember it from my French lessons, more years ago than I care to count. I bookmarked the url above because it’s more convenient than searching for Windows table (plus it is, as far as I know, non operating system specific). damommza, as usual, set the theme for our poem and I just went along, but she did say the time of year was one of thoughts behind it. And thank you for your compliment on our work. 😀

/  October 23, 2011

I never took French, sadly. I took Spanish for 4 years and all I can remember is..”Hello, my name is….” :-))

I was out walking the dogs yesterday and looking at all of the Halloween decorations and headstones and skeleton feet popping out of people’s lawns and this poem came to mind..in case one of those skeletal legs were real! :-))

Thank you for coming here all the time to read sunovawot’s poems as well as our joint ones. I look forward to all of your contributions! The haiku was delicious! 😀

4. lupinssupins

/  October 25, 2011

Love the poem! Well timed, indeed. And merci mille fois [fan Q times elebenty,] and mercy buckups for the handy, dandy diacritical conversion table, sunovawot! Very bookmark-worthy.

5. romeojosiemom

/  October 26, 2011

so moving and thoughtful.

/  October 26, 2011

Hi Romeojosiemom! This was inspired by a walk through the neighborhood with my dogs and seeing all of the fake skeletons sticking out of people’s lawns. Made me start to think if any of them were real! :-))