and are there wonders still

by damommza & sunovawot

comes the lightening, comes the thunder
comes the sky now clearing bright
after all that constant storming
finally sleeping through the night

in the morning, while i’m cleaning
broken branches, pushed in screen
under one smashed, upturned planter
is a sight I’ve never seen

white and oval, hard as wallboard
shiny with a coat of dew
something laid it, something left it
something watching what I do

coveting this magic orb, I’ve
eyes like saucers at this sight
first I turn it, then I warm it
by the fire of early night

then the cracking starts at midnight
first a tapping, then some more
thin lines open on this eggshell
one black eye and then a claw

as it opens, peeks is head out
baby dragon wet with birth
not once in my life thought I’d see
a real dragon on this earth

stretching wings and baby roars and
looking for a teat to nurse
this strange creature cries for succor
found by humans is it’s curse

flapping wings and balls of fire
shake my house, make my walls crack
giant flames, great ripping claws, this
mama wants her baby back

take a moment to consider
how to get the best outcome
answer’s glaring, right before me
take the baby to it’s mum

still the raging goes on outside
and I feel a sense of dread
got to move before the dragon
brings the roof down on my head

so I reach out for the infant
take it gently in my grasp
teeth and claws lock on my forearms
I can hear it’s breathing rasp

I have no words to describe the
iridescence of it’s skin
for a moment lost in beauty
I forget the mess I’m in

as it’s scratches dig in deep I
head toward the nearest door
for a moment all is silent
followed by a mighty roar

then, it’s there, right before me
mother is a gorgeous sight
colours artists would give lives for
shining with internal light

slowly then, it’s eyes upon me
lower baby to the ground
take a step back to the doorway
all without a single sound

I have seen so many sights I
had ’til now thought I was blest
but a moment in this presence
turned to ashes all the rest

then and for a magic moment
mother looked right in my eyes
grabbed her baby in her claws and
with a leap took to the skies

if I live ten thousand years and
if I travel day and night
there will never be a thing to
equal what I’ve seen this night

/  November 4, 2011

In honor of your newest avitar..I’ve been thinking of dragons all night!! I love this and your part made me cry! 😀 😀 😀

2. 🙂 *smiles big* sooooooo good…! you made my day. I do think dragons must exist somehow, and to imagine this… the colors “artists would give their lives for”, the little wild baby, the spellbinding look from the dragon mother… *sigh* 🙂 🙂 🙂

/  November 4, 2011

AAAWW!! Thank you so much Villow! This started from a conversation about earrings, (believe it or not) then the change of avitar then, early this morning, I thought of dragon babies and VOILA! :-))

• Thank you, dragons appear to be a point where our interests cross. Talking about them isn’t difficult, finding something new to say is, and damommza came up with something new to me 😀

• you both did a fantastic job! I once painted a dragon for my high school library – it was a whole wall fresco on medieval literature. I spent a long time on it and was quite happy with it in the end… wish I had a picture now… 🙂

• A pity it would have been interesting to see it 😀 I never had any facility with drawing or painting, or indeed pretty much anything that required manual dexterity, something I resigned myself to shortly after first picking up a pencil 😆

3. I luvluvluv this, you two!!! The other day I told you, sunovawat, about a dragon earring. You found out where it’s made. Yesterday, driving home from werk (pleh!) I started wondering about this very topic, very similar situation and what on earth, or should I say how on earth would you ever get the baby back to its’ mom with being obliterated? “The look exchanged” that you or damommza created here is a wonderful solution. Cheers to you both!!

/  November 4, 2011

Hi txgurlgurl! I’m so glad you liked this. I saw that you favorited the pic of the earring and sunovawot and I got into a discussion about dragons and earrings and then this morning I thought about dragon eggs and baby dragons and that’s where this poem came from! :-)) Sunovawot created that wonderful “exchanged look with mama dragon. 😀

• Thank you. 😀 I actually ended up ordering one of the earrings (approx $22 from amazon.co.uk, see lawah’s link below) though it hasn’t arrived yet 😀

4. Ya’ll have a great weekend and we’ll see you on Monday!

5. Wow wut a wundermuss poem!!! Yew bowf dun a mazin jawb! yew shuld chek awt teh wurk ob Andrew Bill, hims maykes teh mostest beautimuss adn powurful Dragon skulpturs! Ai hads tu rite tu him fur an Art Projekt wunce adn hims wus sew reeli nyce adn rote bak lawts bout hims wurk.

6. You’re a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

• If yoo haz noe intrest in relayshunshipz of enny kynd, it duzznt mattur wot uvvers fink bowt yoo, or eeven if tehy do 😀

7. Ohai sunovawot, damommza, villow and lawah! I had to come back today and re-read this poem…just can’t leave it alone. I printed this out yesterday and read it to a friend of mine last night. He loved it! Before I read it to him, I asked him if he had any interest in dragons. He said no, but I think he might have changed his mind.

Is it just me or does this poem get better each time it’s read?

/  November 8, 2011

It does get better with each read! Some of the poems that we write I revisit and I can’t help but think they have improved with the passing days. I don’t know how that can be, but this is definitely one of them. Thank you so much for sharing it with your friend. I’m glad he liked it too! 😀

• Thank you, some poems do repay rereading but there are plenty that you only realise quite how bad they smell when they’ve had their day in the sun 😀 Luckily this one does seem to fit in the first category 😆

• Oh, I don’t think it has anything to do with luck. Yesterday, when I read this, it seemed to take on a certain light, or maybe a life of its’ own. Last night, when I read it to my friend, it took on even more life. I could feel the floor vibrate as the mom dragon let a mighty roar after the silence…today, it’s like you’re out there on the poarch with the baby and it’s baby claws digging into your arm, seeing the luminescent (sp?) color of her skin…oh, just undescrib…indescrib…can’t describe it! The talent you and damommza demonstrate in a work such as this is such a wonderful gift (not luck, at all). I agree with damommza in that the more poems you two write, the better they are. Thank you!!!

/  November 8, 2011

AAwww…txgurlgurl, thank you!!! That is such a nice thing to say! My poems never really come to life until sunovawot takes them on and finishes them, then they become complete! 😀 Thank you again! It’s so nice to know that you like them! 🙂

• Only so much of what you are describing is down to the poem, a part of it is how much the reader or auditor is willing to invest into it themselves. However being totally shallow I will take your kind words and I shall wallow in them. Thank you 😀